do something amazing!





















"The best part of the day is about to begin.



The part when you and me become we."



~ Winnie the Pooh















Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fairy Tales

Last week my class was studying fairy tales. We enjoyed reading "The Elves and the Shoemaker" and discussing the different components of a fairy tale. I have a love for fairy tales and grew up loving them so it was fun when I got to teach a lesson on them and have the students write their own fairy tale. I was impressed by their ability to grasp the concept so well and do well to construct one on their own. I'm going to share with you a few of the ones that I believed were well-written.
(I will spell the words correctly - even though some of these words were not spelled right - it's not quite as cute in type as it is in print).

Once upon a time there was a dragon and a princess. The princess lived in a castle. There was a prince who fought enemies. The also fought dragons. One day he went to the castle and fought the dragon. He went to the tower and he went to the bed and he saw the princess. He saved her and they lived happily ever after.
~ Halo Tabert

Once upon a time there was a fish in the sea who was very kind. And he was a king. So he wished upon a star. He said, "I wish that I was a wizard." And when he was asleep that night the elves came. They poked him in his head and the next morning he was a wizard. And he was very happy! Then one day he used a wand and it worked and he lived happily ever after.
~ Meleni Perez

Once upon a time there was a shoemaker, three elves and an evil witch. One day the elves went to the woods to see the witch. But when the witch opened the door she turned one of the elves into a frog. So the two elves and the little frog ran back to the village. When they got home one of the elves said, "I know what to do! The witch just needs a friend." So they asked the shoemaker to bake some cookies so that they could send them over to the witch. So they did. Then the witch and the elves became friends. And they lived happily ever after.
~Laura Forsgren

Once upon a time there was three little pirates. And they were mad because they didn't have any food. They sailed off to the shore and they found treasure and food. They pirates lived happily ever after.
~Luke Westrand

Once upon a time there was a princess and a horse. The princess heard footsteps in the woods. She was scared! And then out came a horse that was as purple as a sock and they made friends. Then they lived happily ever after.
~Anonymous

I LOVE reading what my kids write. I get a huge kick out of hearing the way that they put words together and how they construct stories. I hope to post many fun examples of their writing throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment